As a Rookie Snowblower Operator and Snow Shoveller, you will be more than just a member of a crew - you will be a vital part of a team of snowfighters (2-5 people) that keeps Toronto moving during the winter months. Your role in efficiently clearing and deicing private roadways, parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, walkways, steps, and any other surfaces that need snowblowing or shovelling, is crucial to the safety and accessibility of our city.
No experience in commercial snow removal is necessary! This is your chance to learn a new trade, to build strength and resilience, and to make a tangible difference in your community. As long as you are physically comfortable wielding a snow shovel and can capably lift 50+ LBs repeatedly, you will be able to master this role and progress to become an experienced member of our team.
You will be assigned to the truck and crew of a Team Leader, who will guide and mentor you as you work together to provide essential snow clearing and deicing services to a small list of commercial and residential properties in Toronto. This is a hands-on role where every day is different and every shift is a new challenge.
This position requires the successful applicant to work on an on-call basis with irregular hours, often overnight. This is not a 9-5 job - it's a commitment to be there when your city needs you, ready to work at all times of the day and night, as dictated by the weather and operational response requirements.
This position is perfect for those who have previous experience working physically-demanding jobs outdoors during inclement weather and harsh conditions. It's an entry-level role for those who are tough, resilient, and ready to take on the challenge of a Toronto winter.
Join Our Team as a Rookie Snowblower Operator and Snow Shoveller in Toronto
Are you looking for an exciting opportunity to make a difference in your community while working outdoors during the winter months? Look no further! We are currently seeking motivated individuals to join our team as Rookie Snowblower Operators and Shovellers in Toronto. In this blog post, we will outline the job description, requirements, and the benefits of joining our team.
The Role of a Rookie Snowblower Operator and Shoveller
As a Rookie Snowblower Operator and Shoveller, you will be an integral part of our snowfighting team responsible for clearing and deicing private roadways, parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, walkways, steps, and other surfaces that require snowblowing or shovelling. While no prior experience in commercial snow removal is necessary, you should be physically capable of operating a snow shovel and lifting 50+ lbs repeatedly.
Requirements for the Position
To excel in this role, you should be prepared for physically demanding work outdoors during inclement weather and harsh conditions. Additionally, you must be available to work on an on-call basis with irregular hours, often overnight. This is not your typical 9-5 job but rather a commitment to be there when the city needs you, regardless of the time of day or night.
Benefits and Perks
- Learning Opportunities: This position offers the chance to learn a new trade and develop valuable skills.
- Competitive Compensation: You have the potential to earn up to $10,000 per winter for less than 250 hours of work.
- Team Environment: Join a large team of over 150+ snowfighters and meet new people.
- Transportation Options: Depending on your location, rides to and from work may be available.
- Full-Length Contract: Enjoy job security with a five-month long winter contract from November 16th to April 15th.
- Performance Bonuses: Eligible for monthly performance bonuses of up to $300.
- Modern Equipment: No paperwork! We provide fully modern equipment with electronic logging.
- Minimal Commute: You must live within a maximum of 45 minutes commuting distance from our Toronto Office.
- Work with Toronto's leading, award-winning snow and ice maintenance company
- Opportunity to make AS MUCH AS $10,000 per winter for less than 250 hours of work per season
- Become part of a huge, happy, excited team of over 150+ snowfighters and meet lots of new people
- Rides to and from work are potentially available, depending on your location
- Operate snow blowers and other hand tools such as shovels to clear snow from paved surfaces
- Lift and spread 50+ LB heavy buckets of ice melter by hand or push-spreader
- Assist team leader in successful completion of assigned tasks as necessary
- Full-length, five-month long winter contract (Nov 16th to Apr 15th)
- On-call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week as required by winter weather
- $22-$26 per hour, based on experience, reliability, timeliness and effectivity
- Industry-leading 8% vacation pay, added on top of every paycheque
- Guaranteed minimum 10 working hours per week even if there is no snow and no work
- Eligible for monthly performance bonuses up to $300 per month
- No paperwork! Fully modern equipment with electronic logging
- Must live within a maximum of 45 minutes commuting distance from our Toronto Office
- This position requires early morning or late night starts, extended hours, and weekend duty including holidays
- This position requires 24/7 availability to respond to weather events at any time of day or night
- Having an open schedule is a must. We work according to the weather, so any time of day or night, if winter strikes we go out!
- Commercial snow removal experience considered an asset
- Minimum of 1 year outdoor labour experience requiring medium to heavy physical effort is a must
- Driver's license is not required for this position however could be considered an asset
- Good verbal and written interpersonal communication and leadership skills
- Excellent knowledge of consumer technology (Windows PC, Microsoft Office, Android Tablet, GPS Navigation, Smart Phone, Common Mobile Apps)
- Must have a modern smart phone with a basic internet data plan and full text messaging/voice call capabilities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor your cell phone 24/7 in order to promptly and quickly respond to all schedule updates sent by dispatch via text message
- Arrive to work at our yard in a speedy fashion when called upon, ready to go at a moments notice all winter long
- Follow directions as provided by your Team Leader, and remain personally committed to high-quality, effective performance of the work
- Participate in a small to medium-sized crew (2-6 people) while ensuring all assigned duties are performed properly and safely at all times throughout each shift
- Ensure top-notch quality control and efficient completion of all work as required to meet service demands, time constraints, and operational deadlines
- Comply with and help enforce all safety precautions, operational procedures, directions, rules, policies, and regulations
- Ensure all team members are following rules and directions at all times
If you have a minimum of 1 year of outdoor labor experience, are physically capable, and have an open schedule, this position may be perfect for you. Don't miss this opportunity to join our team of snowfighters and make a tangible difference in your community. Apply now and be prepared for an exciting winter season in Toronto!