As an On-Call Snowblower Operator and Snow Shoveller, you will be a vital part of a team of snowfighters (2-6 people) that keeps Toronto moving during the winter months. Your role in efficiently clearing and deicing private roadways, parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, walkways, steps, and any other surfaces that need snowblowing or shovelling, is crucial to the safety and accessibility of our city.
Unlike our Stand-By employment positions, as an On-Call snowfighter, you do not have to provide a commitment to attend all scheduled shifts. You can choose to decline shifts as necessary when work becomes available. The more often you can make it, the more often work will be available to you. This is also a great position if you would like to try the work out before committing to a Stand-By position.
No experience in commercial snow removal is necessary! This is your chance to learn a new trade, to build strength and resilience, and to make a tangible difference in your community. As long as you are physically comfortable wielding a snow shovel and can capably lift 50+ LBs repeatedly, you will be able to master this role and progress to become an experienced member of our team.
You will be assigned to the truck and crew of a Team Leader, who will guide and mentor you as you work together to provide essential snow clearing and deicing services to a small list of commercial and residential properties in Toronto. This is a hands-on role where every day is different and every shift is a new challenge.
This position requires the successful applicant to work on an on-call basis with irregular hours, often overnight or in the early morning. Shift timing is dictated solely by the weather. Schedule updates are released often, usually a few days in advance of impending work.
This position is perfect for those who have previous experience working in the snow removal trade but can't commit to all events, or for anyone just starting out!
Join Our Team as an On-Call Snowblower Operator and Snow Shoveller in Toronto
Don't miss this opportunity to join our team of snowfighters and make a tangible difference in your community. Apply now and be prepared for an exciting winter season in Toronto!
Requirements for the Position
To excel in this role, you should be prepared for physically demanding work outdoors during inclement weather and harsh conditions. Additionally, you will need to be available to work on an on-call basis with irregular hours, often overnight. This is not your typical 9-5 job but rather a commitment to be there when the city needs you, regardless of the time of day or night.
Your Role in Detail
- Be a Snowfighter: As a pivotal member of a dedicated 2-5 person crew, your role in clearing and deicing various private surfaces – from roadways to walkways – is indispensable. With each shovel or snowblower pass, you help safeguard our city's inhabitants.
- Embrace Flexibility: The beauty of the on-call position is the liberty it provides. You decide which shifts align with your schedule. Perfect for those who desire to experience snow removal without the obligation of a standby position's consistent availability.
- Mentorship and Learning: Under the guidance of seasoned Team Leaders, both novices and those with some snow removal experience will refine their skills, ensuring efficient and safe operations during each shift.
- Physical Demands and Rewards: This is a hands-on, challenging role, yet the satisfaction derived from transforming snow-laden landscapes into navigable spaces is unparalleled.
- Work with Toronto's leading, award-winning snow and ice maintenance company
- Become part of a huge, happy, excited team of over 150+ snowfighters and meet lots of new people
- Operate snow blowers and other hand tools such as shovels to clear snow from paved surfaces
- Lift and spread 50+ LB heavy buckets of ice melter by hand or push-spreader
- Assist team leader in successful completion of assigned tasks as necessary
- Full-length, six-month long winter contract (Nov 1st to Apr 30th)
- On-call with work madeavailable as required by winter weather, staffing requirements, and your availability
- $20-$30 per hour, based on experience, reliability, timeliness and effectivity
- Industry-leading 8% vacation pay, added on top of every paycheque
- Every accepted shift assures you a minimum of 4 hours of work. On average, shifts span 8-10 hours, with some stretching up to 10-12 hours during intense snowfall periods
- No paperwork! Fully modern equipment with electronic logging
- Must live within a maximum of 45 minutes commuting distance from our Toronto Office
- Please note, this position does not come with guaranteed hours. There will be long stretches of time when work is not available. The more often you are able to accept shifts when they do become available, the more often our dispatchers will request you to work.
- This position requires early morning or late night starts, extended hours, and weekend duty including holidays
- We work according to the weather, so any time of day or night, if winter strikes, work will become available!
- Commercial snow removal experience considered an asset
- Minimum of 1 year outdoor labour experience requiring medium to heavy physical effort is a must
- Driver's license is not required for this position however could be considered an asset
- Good verbal and written interpersonal communication and leadership skills
- Excellent knowledge of consumer technology (Windows PC, Microsoft Office, Android Tablet, GPS Navigation, Smart Phone, Common Mobile Apps)
- Must have a modern smart phone with a basic internet data plan and full text messaging/voice call capabilities
Duties and Responsibilities
- Monitor your cell phone 24/7 in order to promptly and quickly respond to all schedule updates sent by dispatch via text message
- Accept or decline your shifts if requested to do so by dispatch so a timely fashion. Accepted shifts are assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Arrive to work at our yard in a speedy fashion when called upon, ready to go at a moments notice all winter long
- Follow directions as provided by your Team Leader, and remain personally committed to high-quality, effective performance of the work
- Participate in a small to medium-sized crew (2-6 people) while ensuring all assigned duties are performed properly and safely at all times throughout each shift
- Ensure top-notch quality control and efficient completion of all work as required to meet service demands, time constraints, and operational deadlines
- Comply with and help enforce all safety precautions, operational procedures, directions, rules, policies, and regulations
- Ensure all team members are following rules and directions at all times
We're more than just a snow removal company; we're a community dedicated to ensuring Toronto's safety during the winter months. If you're driven by making tangible impacts and enjoy the thrill of winter challenges, there's no better platform than ours. As you grow and enjoy the role, the door remains open for you to transition to a standby position should they become available. Embrace the snow, and together, let's keep Toronto moving!